Big Tobacco companies use different tactics to influence young people to start smoking.
Tobacco Company Tactics
- Advertising for tobacco products was banned in the UK in 2002.
- Standardised plain packaging on cigarettes packs came into effect in May 2016.
- Since 2012 it has been illegal to display tobacco products at the point of sale in large stores in the UK.
- Product placement in films, TV and music videos is another way tobacco companies advertise their products.
- Many films that are popular with young people still glamourise smoking.
- Tobacco companies use the Internet to advertise now as it is less regulated.
"We do realise that today's teenager is tomorrow's potential regular customer"
Philip Morris Memo, 1981